Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Sagmiller Updates & My Comments

Tom Sagmiller posted a couple comments over on his webpage. The first was declaring that his page is now the Unofficial Chowchilla Speedway page.

I have heard some rumblings of what is going on, but I have not spoken publicly about it due to request. Well, that, and personally, I don't know how happy some people will be if what I've heard comes to pass. Well, if the track reopens, that's still a good thing, and secondly, I won't comment until I know more. If what I hear actually happens, I'll have to consider whether saying anything is even worth it at this point.

Anyway, Tom posted this:

I WILL BE POSTING THE TRACK CHAMPIONS AND THE FREEDOM SERIES Champs very soon. We would also like to do some sort of banquet me and Cindy will be doing this out of our own pockets so it might be a pot luck but it will be fun!!!

I say this:

Okay people. What's done is done. Now is one last time to celebrate Chowchilla Speedway and what Tom & Cindy brought to it. Now is the time to end that era in style and respect. The racing under the RACE banner may not have ended as we'd have like it to, but the party and final banquet can be different. Whatever the future holds, just remember:

#1 There would be no Chowchilla Speedway without Tom & Cindy and the investors taking the chance. Seriously. Who would have done something so crazy other than Tom?

#2 Seven full seasons and half of the eighth (2000-2007). All the racing. All of the divisions. The first time champions. The legacy!!!

#3 Right when we lost San Jose, we gained Chowchilla. The Steitz Race was saved, and we had some huge events. I'm lucky to have announced two of those.

#4 Open Wheel Round Up. I remember planning that with Tom. 32 carbureted Sprints that year, and THAT race opened the eyes of many promoters and racers alike.

#5 The laid back, friendly atmosphere. It really was a fun place to be. They kept it affordable, they kept it friendly. It wasn't a place where they would get in your face, unless you really did something really stupid. It was a place where a racer could get a second chance.

#6 Do you need more reasons? I mean, come on. Just opening this track, let alone holding some of the biggest races of the year, was a miracle at a time when we needed one.

So, what's my point? This is a chance to thank Tom & Cindy and get together one last time as supporters of their version of the track. Personally, I think the biggest award ought to go to them in thanks.

Anyway, where the Chowchilla supporter comes in is you can help them put this thing together. Donate $5 (or more) if you can (This is not a crusade I am leading, but most of the people who would donate know the address they send for Chowchilla memberships and that sort of thing. Of course, if somebody wanted to lead this effort, I say go for it).

Sponsor food or whatever. Make this a party nobody will forget. Well, that's my opinion anyway. If you want to make this happen in a bigger and better way than what's being proposed, get involved. Tom & Cindy aren't asking, but it would be a great way to show appreciation.

People are always bitching and complaining about things in racing, but Tom was somebody who had the guts to actually do something about it. I will always respect him for that. Thanks for giving the racers Chowchilla Speedway Tom.