Monday, October 29, 2007

I Heard The News Today, Oh Boy


You can see the above posted at the Chowchilla Fairgrounds Sight
.
What can you say at a time like this? I can think of a few things. I've had my opinions through the years on this subject as some of you know. What does it matter? There are probably a few people (if that) who I would tell what I think even now.
.
In case you don't know what this image means, Central California Motorized Racing is Chuck Griffin, and he has Chowchilla Speedway now To complete the thought, there have been those in racing who were not happy with Chuck for various reasons that I have neither the time, nor the room, to get into. Some went to other tracks, Hanford, Antioch, Stockton and Altamont. One had good people (investors) behind him and ended up starting Chowchilla Speedway to give people a fun alternative.
.
Chowchilla Speedway over the last eight seasons held some of the biggest stock car and open wheel programs in the state, and it never would have happened without the leadership of Tom & Cindy Sagmiller. To me, it's hard to think of Chowchilla Speedway and not think of Sagmiller. Would the track be there if not for that conversation between Tom and original investor Charlie Ruth? No. Let me rephrase that, HELL NO!!! If you think otherwise, you aren't being honest.
.
Chowchilla came out of left field, offering hope to fans who needed it. Not just the ones in The Valley looking for a place that was more fun, but to Bay Area fans reeling from the loss of San Jose Speedway. Tom gave us hope of something better and something different in racing at a time when we desperately needed it.
.
This is difficult for me to say. I happen to like Tom and consider him a friend. I also happen to like Chuck and Marylee Griffin. Like or hate Chuck, people, Merced's gates have opened and racing has continued week in and week out, even during tough times, throughout some two decades with the Griffin's at the helm. That is a fact. Financially speaking, the Chowchilla Board made what had to be considered a safe decision.
.
I know a few people will ask if the board even paid any attention to that winter Barneburner Series run by a Chowchilla resident and long time racer Joe Diaz Jr. I understand Joe put in a bid, and it's not like he hasn't already been making money for the fair.
.
But, Chuck was a safe pick, because the bills get paid on time with him. Plus, at Merced, he has built up a pretty good record with the community. I know, it sounds like I'm being too nice here. I'm amazed the internet community hasn't ripped into this topic more than I've seen. Perhaps they are too tired to care anymore, or maybe it's shock? Who knows?
.
Can we be truthful here for a minute?
.
Chuck's bid, right or wrong, seems to have more to do with him making a point. I don't even care anymore, but he never got the "justice" he sought in his feud with Tom. True, he could have just been happy with the news that Tom was out at Chowchilla, but coming to Chowchilla as the next promoter gives him that victory, that sense of closure he was looking for. What am I talking about? If you don't know by now, I damn sure ain't telling you. Look around, fool. Does it even matter at this point?
.
I can tell you that Tom helped save Merced Speedway. I know what you are thinking. You're nuts Donny. How the hell do you figure that? Moving dates early in Chowchilla's run, at financial loss to Chowchilla, to try to help Merced, for one.
.
Tom forced Merced to ditch the non Camaro Pure Stock (less that 10 cars) for the Hobby Stock class that made it into the 30's that second year. Tom's success in running big shows at Chowchilla was no small influence in Merced's decision to run the 9-11 races that were big for a couple years. Fact is, Chowchilla's existence helped grow Merced car count. I can cite other examples, but I'm getting tired, and really, what's the point?
.
When we look at the decision, we really have to ask what Chuck can bring to Chowchilla that will make a difference? It's a fair question. I'm guessing that bills being paid on time is first and foremost. IMCA sanctioning? Yes, but really, who needs the IMCA? This move is probably five years too late. I may be wrong, but then again, where were the Mods at Merced this year?
.
Chowchilla regulars will be left wondering what divisions will stay, and what will go. That will be up to the CCMR office to address. I look forward to what they will say. But I think people can expect a further departure from the loose and racer friendly way that RACE did things to how CCMR will do things.
.
Simply put, if Chuck is running Chowchilla and you plan to race there, you better know the rules and follow them as closely as you can. No rule is safe from a DQ. Stay in line with the rules and keep the attitude in check, or you won't last in a point race there.
.
What really has me wondering, though, is the fact that Chuck is not getting any younger. It was my understanding a few years ago that he and Marylee were considering retirement. This is doubling the work load. It's likely that his daughter and son in law will take a bigger role in things. However, I can't see Chuck making a two track hand off. This would seem to indicate that retirement will have to wait a year or two.
.
Time will tell, I guess.
.
My purpose in posting this was not to bash or point fingers. I don't care about repeating things said years ago, because this is 2007. What's the point? If this helps racing in The Valley, great. It's needed. But, will it help? I just don't know.
.
Watsonville has been turned around and had a great season.
.
Jim Soares has done some great things with Petaluma these past two years as well.
.
What will Chowchilla's future be? Time will tell.