Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Quick Update And A New Audio Show



On Monday evening, The DCRR Book was released in hard cover and paperback on Lulu.  I made the announcement here. 

You can order it in print on demand.  I'm very excited about this book and the next project I am currently working on.  It's been over a decade since I put out any publications under The DCRR Banner.

Don's California Racing Recollections:  Best Of The Blog And Beyond

Available via print on demand at Lulu in Hard Cover or Paperback



Of course, I felt I needed to do a special audio broadcast commemorating the occasion (seen bottom of post).  On this show, I discuss a little bit of what is in the book and what I am working on now.  I hope to have the next book, the autobiography, ready for print very soon. The show also discusses some of the scheduling news for tracks in California.  The racing season is just around the corner.

As for what that means for me?  Do I pick up the pen and paper again and head to the tracks?  Might there be audio calls once again?  Well...

The long answer is I do believe that more hype and more excitement is needed, now more than ever.  We need to get people excited about what is going on at the tracks.  We need to get the fans back out at the tracks.  We need to get more cars in the pits.  These guys that race occasionally, we need to inspire them to race more often.

I know a tough economy dictates what happens there.  In the case of those who can race more, we need to give them a reason to want to do just that.  We need to hype up the current stars of the track AND the others who are out there tying to put on a show. They ALL have a story to tell.   They are ALL making it happen.  So, more is needed right now.  There's no denying that.

As for where I would fit into any of that?  I've always been a low buck reporter.  My situation (thanks to my dad) afforded me the ability to come out and cover the show as long as I had access to things.  At this point and time, it's not in my budget to return on a regular basis.  In fact, it's not a good situation in that regard, though I'm not trying to bring any of that up here.  We all have problems we have to deal with.

So, the short answer is, at this time there are no plans to jump back into the fray.  I think I could do well in any capacity I was needed, but there are capable people in place right now.  They may not want or need me around at this point.  So, at this time, I will continue to concentrate on this page and keeping things going while I can.  A return visit to the track is a possibility, perhaps for a play day, if I am able to.

In the meantime, this book is something I am very proud of. I could have kept adding to it.  There are 524 pages of interesting stories, facts, race results, history and very cool photos.  The next book will show more about what was going through my mind as I did the things (good and bad) that I did.  I will pull no punches, including on myself.

The third book, if (and I have to honestly say if) I am able to, will be more of a factual look at racing history.  Antioch Speedway is where I will start, and then go from there.  I have a few different ideas.  It will be a job putting it together the right way, and it will require months to do it right.  Antioch Speedway deserves that. I also have more than one book within me when it comes to that.  That is, if the readers want that.

As it is, this current book is a glimpse into what that third book can be.  It stands on its own merits as one of the best books that has ever been offered for California Racing in our area.  As I have said, I am proud of it.

As the season gets ready to start, I wish everybody a happy and safe racing season, wherever they race. I also wish you all the best in heath and happiness for you and your families.  THAT is what really matters when it's all said and done.

And now, the latest DCRR Racing Radio Show


DCRR Racing Radio Show: Episode 5 by GenWhat