Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Change At The DCRR







First of all...

On Sale At Reduced Price




Don's California Racing Recollections:  Best Of The Blog And Beyond

Available via print on demand at Lulu in Hard Cover or Paperback



Just A Kid From The Grandstands:  My Time In Auto Racing

Available on Lulu in Paperback And Hard Cover


Also...

If You Like Reading Our Articles, Visit The Tip Jar at Go Fund Me to support our efforts

 DCRR Racing Media And PR Consulting  HERE



After walking away from racing at the end of the 2003 season and retiring the printed magazine, I was pretty much out of the picture.  I didn't stop writing about racing, though it was Sim Racing related at California Racing Online for a few years.  I opened up a forum for my own GTRA Sim Racing league.  In 2006, I actually posted some racing stuff on that Yahoo Group, and I brought back The DCRR Racing Radio show with about a dozen or so episodes that year.  I even visited the Antioch Fairgrounds on a few occasions and said hi to some of my old friends as they headed into the pits


It was in 2007 when I decided it was time to begin the process of writing some sort of racing book.  I had no idea what it would be, but I opened up this blog that year.  Since 1988, I have used the DCRR letters in one form or another for my magazine, which existed under another name for three years before that.  In this case, I named this blog Don's California Racing Recollections.  That is actually the sixth different name using the DCRR letters.

The books took several years before I even began writing anything for it in 2013 after a phone  conversation with Mike McCann.  Most of Just A Kid From The Grandstands was written in about a week after that call.  Probably two or three days really.  This wasn't the book I was thinking about when I started the blog.  I wanted to do something racing history related.  I started the blog to be open about the creative process for the book.

Well, I recalled stories from days gone by, commented on the current sport and wrote whatever.  In  2010, I ghost wrote the entire season at Antioch and Orland and brought The DCRR Racing Radio Show back again.  Went back into hibernation for a bit and returned to full time reporting again last year.

The second book that I put out in January of last year was based largely on posts made on this blog since 2007, so I suppose the blog served its purpose of getting that book out after all.  There will be more in the future.  This year, as I embark on the next chapter of my life, I will be at a different race track in a different state, but I'll still be doing all of the things I've been doing.  As I make new plans, I believe it is time for a change.





I intend to use a Print On Demand and e-magazine model in bringing back my baby, DCRR Racing News.  I think the time is right for this.  I had been eyeing another magazine, but then I realized something.  I put years onto establishing The DCRR.  It's my little media corner of the world.  Why should I be doing the magazine thing for somebody else?  I like the freedom of doing my own thing.  Therefore, I am making a slight change with this blog.  I am using the DCRR Racing News name again.

This was the third DCRR name I used around 1995 after merging Delta County Race Report and Delta County Race Review into one.  That whole story is told in Just A Kid From The Grandstands, so I'll spare the rehash.  What does DCRR mean?  It's just the four letters I have used for years.  It's my calling card.  Make of it what you will.  California won't be the only state represented in these pages anymore.  All of the tracks I've covered will remain in one form or another.

So, you can say it stands for Don's California Racing Review if you want.  Don's Car Racing Report if you want to be nit picky that other states are in it.  But, to be honest, Gary Jacob wrote articles for me for years and sent stuff from several western states anyway.  I'm partial to Dirt Car Racing Revolution, because dirt track racing is my favorite form of racing.  However, I do have love for the pavement tracks in Lakeport, Ukiah, Madera and elsewhere.  I'll get back to you on this.

Let the DCRR Racing News era begin...  Or start over again...  Whatever...